Feasibility Study & Design for the Improvement of Castlebergh Crag
Published: 27 September 2022
Castlebergh Crag is a large outcrop of limestone in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. A zigzag footpath leads to the summit of Castlebergh Crag, which offers a great view point over the town of Settle.
The Town Council are now busy implementing the Masterplan and have received a grant from Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust Stories In Stone for £10k towards directional signage, hedgerow planting, overgrowth clearance of vegetation and interpretation panels.
The directional signage, clearance of overgrowth and hedgerow planting are now complete and the design of the 5 interpretation panels is now complete.
** The 5 interpretation panels have now arrived. They consist of a Geology, Fauna, Flora, Heritage and Panoramic Panel. These will be positioned at the Crag soon. Click on the links below, under “Appendix 6 to see an image of what they look like**
Further funding is required to complete the Masterplan and create an attractive space for locals and visitors to enjoy.
The Castlebergh Crag Steering group will reconvene and progress the next phase and seek funding.
Following another general public survey a large percentage of the Town support this project and the Town Council will work with all stakeholders.
The plan is to ………..
- Encourage greater use of the site by local people and visitors;
- Provide a space so that it can be used and enjoyed by everyone – regardless of age, gender or disability.
- Use the natural and woodland environment to provide exciting and challenging opportunities for children and young people to learn and explore;
- Celebrate the heritage and uniqueness of the site;
- Provision of a multi-functional green space that is spatially adaptable and able to host a diverse range of activities, from passive and active recreation, events and performances while still retaining a sense of place;
- Make best possible use of existing site assets including trees, topography
- Be maintainable with the minimum of cost;
- Connect the site with the town centre and other key relevant locations i.e. The Folly
- Appendix 1 - Plan of Castlebergh Area
- Appendix 4 - Woodland Management Plan
- Appendix 5 - Conservation Area Appraisal
- Appendix 6 Castlebergh Crag Geology Panel
- Appendix 6 Castlebergh Crag Heritage Panel
- Appendix 6 Castlebergh Crag Panoramic Panel
- Appendix 6 Castlebergh Crag Fauna Panel
- Appendix 6 Castlebergh Crag Flora Panel